Saturday, August 18, 2012

Updates - 08/18/2012 - Attempted Crime and Grey Hairs

There are 135 more days left in 2012. Today Roanoke Island celebrates Virginia Dare's birthday, and Australia celebrates Vietnam Veterans' day. None of these affect my life.
I discovered a solitary grey hair on my upper torso, a promise of many more to come, and a harbinger of old, shriveled, wrinkled skin and teeth in a cup of water. For the first time in my life I was happy that I was short and fat with need for no maintenance.
I cannot for my life understand the concept of attempted crime. A person convicted of attempted murder gets a reasonably short jail sentence with hope of parole; a person convicted of murder get life in prison or death by execution. Isn't that backwards? Attempted murder is simply a murder that didn't succeed. The perpetrator failed to accomplish what he set out to do. It is not as if halfway through his murdering process he had a pang of conscience, and dropped his weapon and walked away. So why is he being rewarded for failure? I think attempted crime should carry a harsher sentence than a successful one; a sentence for the actual crime plus an extra sentence for failing. After all, if you study 16 hours a day and fail in your test, you don't get an A+ for attempting to pass; you get an F for failing. Shouldn't the same argument apply here?
Everything is getting harder and tougher. Getting a job, keeping a job, making ends meet, playing competitive sports, everything. I had set my eyes on becoming a writer someday, and publishing a novel to make some extra bucks. Just one novel, because somewhere someone had said that there is one good story inside every human being. Today I realized that this is not going to work. I might have one good story inside me. But that is not enough to become a published author any more. The bar has been raised three-fold. Now, to be a published author, you not only have to have a story, you should be able to stretch that to extend three books. If you cannot write a trilogy, no agent is going to touch you.
I keep hearing about the first world and the third world? What happened to the second world? Did the people who formulated these concepts not know about the existence of silver? I have a set of problems which don't qualify as first world problems or third world problems. I cannot tweet about them because the second world doesn't exist. I blame these people for my low Klout score.
And lastly, I heard a nursery rhyme that was just wrong. One of the lines in the rhyme was – ‘This little pig ate roast beef, this little pig had none’.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with piggys eating roast beef or piggys having none. Better than piggys eating hot dogs. As for attempted murder... Not succeeding in this case is a good thing, so they get rewarded for that.
-Ronica