Sunday, September 8, 2013

Successful backyard gardening rules

Every year in Spring, I plant a few vegetables in my backyard - brinjals, tomatoes, green peppers, and occasionally pumpkins. For the uninitiated - a brinjal is the British name for an eggplant. Funny name - eggplant - indicates a plant on which eggs grow. But this is not a plant, it is a vegetable which looks like an egg only if you get completely stoned and then let your imagination go wild and purple.
As you can probably imagine, gardening is hard work and plants need constant attention. So the whole business needs careful planning and time allocation. 

Let me describe how a good and successful backyard gardener, like yours truly, operates.
1.  My wife goes to the nursery and buys the plants.
2.  She writes a note for the gardener.
3.  The gardener comes and then does the heavy lifting - digging, preparing the beds, applying the organic fertilizer, and putting the plants into their beds.
4.  My son waters those plants 3-4 days a week.
5.  Every alternate Sunday, my son and daughter do the weeding, with guidance and moral support from me.


Phew! This is hard work indeed.

No comments: